Safari Soirée to feature special guest Keziah Murugi, auction, music and more!
h.o.w? Ministry's Kenya Coordinator Keziah Murugi is coming to Cape Girardeau and will be our special guest speaker at our first-ever Safari Soirée fundraising event scheduled for 6:30 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 24, 2016, at The Venue in Cape Girardeau (map). Tickets for the event are $50 and available at Eventbrite. Special VIP tables for up to 8 guests also are available.
The event will feature entertainment by the popular Cape Girardeau band Shades of Soul. Cuisine will include hors d'oeuvres from area chefs and a dessert bar. Complimentary wine, beer and soft drink beverages will be included, and a cash bar will also be available.
Auction items for bid at the event include:
- A 14-karat yellow gold necklace with emeralds and diamonds appraised at $1,995.
- A labradoodle puppy from St. Louis Australian Labradoodles
- A handmade I Love Africa quilt, 78" tall x 63" wide, featuring 30+ t-shirts from mission trips and other organizations that support the least of these in Africa. Crafted by Anna Steck, 86, of Galesburg, Illinois. Anna is the mother of h.o.w? supporter Nancy Bishop of Cape Girardeau.
- An Omni Peace tote bag signed by actor/celebrity Brad Pitt
- A 7-night stay at Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa (1-bedroom villa)
- Box seat Fox Theatre tickets (1 set of 4 tickets)
- All-inclusive "green seat" Saint Louis Cardinals tickets (2 sets of 2 tickets)
Master of Ceremonies: Dr. Mike Cowan, past principal, Cape Central High School
Guests will also have the opportunity to purchase foundation stones to help fund our new mission house in Naivasha, Kenya, where we plan to offer vocational and life skills training for older youth aging out of orphanages and for our h.o.w? widows and their families. The h.o.w? marketplace featuring handmade jewelry, crafts, scarves and baskets from Africa will be open throughout the evening.
This is a watercolor illustration of the mission house we envision for our property in Naivasha. We need to raise at least $150,000 for its construction and additional costs to develop the property, including a borehole for water (estimated at $25,000) and fencing for security (we're getting estimates). Last December, donors helped us raise $105,000 in 31 days that enabled us to purchase a beautiful parcel of land on a hillside in Naivasha. (Artwork by local artist Vicki Outman, Visual Arts Coop officer and Southeast Missouri Arts Council board member)
- 6:30 p.m. doors open, social hour
- 7:30 p.m. welcome, program and auction
- 9 p.m.-12 a.m. music and dancing
African-themed, animal print, or safari attire encouraged.
Special thanks to our sponsors!
Beverages: Starbucks, Tri-State Water Power and Air, McAlister's Deli, River Eagle Distributing
Food: Lisa Essmyer, Chick-fil-A, STĀ, Faithfully Fed & Co-op, Andy's Frozen Custard, My Daddy's Cheesecake, Susan's Cookie Creations
Donors: Becky Coulter of St Louis Australian Labradoodles, Tim Martin with Martin Rice Company, Michelle and Jamie Outman, Keen Beck, Webcurrent Communications, Randy and Laura Sparkman, C.P. McGinty Jewelers